Tuesday 22 November 2011

She bought 'em in Autumn

Time flies when you’re having fun. Predictably enough, it also flies when you’re not. Unemployment, who originally presented himself as a long-lost friend just staying for the weekend, has become the immovable lodger who has started eating my posh cereal and opening my post. I think I just found his hidden pile of scrunched up sweetie wrappers behind the back of the sofa.
                                                                            
Oops, wait, that’s mine.

The silver lining is that this is my favourite time of year, not least because it's the season for podge-covering jumpers... much needed when I’m left to my own devices all day every day in the House of Nosh. As if the kitchen didn't provide enough temptation, I also know all of mum's hiding places. Sometimes I think she's not even trying - I mean, the drawer under your bed? The piano stool? Come on mum, at least PRETEND that you don't want me to find that 500g bar of Fruit and Nut.

My autumnal white chocolate ration has certainly not been too shabby. After a day in town, the Halloween edition of Cadbury’s white chocolate fingers, complete with gory red biscuit inside, barely lasted the tube journey home. 

A weekend in Paris (the minibreak addict must feed her habit, even when jobless – lest we forget that addiction is an illness) also yielded a couple of treasures. My Milky Bar Kid was particularly excited by the biscuit filled and wonderfully named...


















I didn't know that there was such thing as a “speculoos” but I’m awfully glad there is. 

Most excitingly, I brought home with me some white chocolate Twixes that I, ever eagle-eyed, spotted in a metro station vending machine.
















While I am painting a truly luxurious picture of my foodcentric life, be assured that it’s not all a bed of roses. Or at least, you’re bound to find a clump of putrefied petals in amongst the good stuff.

As a birthday gift, my big sister bought my little sister some M&S white chocolate-covered strawberries. It seemed only fair that I sample the first one – after all, white chocolate is my thing. (Middle child much?) Anyhow… the berries are easy on the eye, invitingly shiny and plump like a newly fallen conker. 

I bit into it and my mouth was filled with evil. 

Apparently it was insensitive of me to tell my sister, as she herself was taking a bite: “It tastes of arse”. At least joblessness isn’t affecting my verbal skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment